Πέμπτη 5 Μαΐου 2011

Gerry Sklavounos: a Greek-Canadian politician at the parliament of Quebec


Gerry, I know you were born in Canada, but your parents are from Kefalonia. Which part of Kefalonia are they from?
Yes Panagioti, I was in fact born in Canada and have lived here all of life. Both my parents were born in Kefalonia. My father from the Pessada region and my mother from the village of Havdata in the Lixouri region.


Have you ever been to Kefalonia? What does Kefalonia mean to you?
Yes I have, many times. The first was in the summer of 1982. Even as a child, I was struck by the beauty of the island: the contrast of blue sea, white cliffs and green mountains. It was also extremely important to me to maintain contact  with my aunts, uncles and cousins who are in Kefalonia and elsewhere in Greece because my roots are important to me and even as I do my work in Québec politics, I never forget or neglect my Greek and Kefalonian heritage.


What message do you send to Kefalonians especially to the youth that is interested in a political career?
It is important for our brothers and sisters in Kefalonia to know that Kefalonians around the globe have worked very hard and succeeded in various areas, In fact, other Greeks recognize Kefalonians for their entrepreneurship, their humour and their wit. I came from a modest family but I was driven by the ideals that especially my mother raised me with: to work, be honest and not give up at difficult moments. I think these messages are important for all young people and especially for those who intend to pursue a career in public service, because as you well know, in politics, criticism comes easy while recognition and credit are earned with much difficulty.


In Greece many immigrants come from different countries of the Middle-East, north African and Asia, as well as from Albania and other Balkan countries. The population of Greece is becoming all the more multicultural. Do you have any message to send to Greece based on your experience in the multicultural society of Canada?

I believe that immigration and multiculturalism are unavoidable effects of globalisation and I think that as people we have to come to peace with that. However, I believe that those who choose to make their lives in a new country have to subscribe to the fundamental core values of that society and to respect its laws. I believe that we must welcome people with tolerance and respect but that they too have an obligation to participate in our society with the same tolerance and respect.


You recently attended the General Assembly of the World Hellenic Inter-parliamentary Association (WHIA) as part of a delegation of Greek elected officials of the Diaspora. Did you meet any Greek MPs and if so what issues did you discuss?
The purpose of the WHIA organization is to bring together politicians of Greek origin from around the world in order to favour a certain international solidarity on our main Hellenic issues, such as Cyprus, Macedonia, the return of our cultural artefacts and other. Of course, we met briefly with some local politicians such as Antonis Samaras, Dora Bakoyannis, George Souflias, Grigoris Niotis and Adonis Georgiadis and I recently had the opportunity to meet Mr. Panagiotis Psomiadis on a recent visit to Montreal. Of course, politicians and economists outside Greece are not superior in their knowledge to those who are inside Greece. However, sometimes, being outside the country allows you to take a more objective view of certain structural and cultural changes that at this juncture would seem necessary in order for Greece to bounce back economically. I have always felt that Greece is under-industrialized compared to other countries in the region and that certain social benefits which have been afforded to the population over the last 3-4 decades have become increasingly expensive to finance and therefore I believe that it is the responsibility of everyone to make sacrifices. That being said,  Greece does have the reputation of tolerating a certain systemic corruption that will have to be addressed in order for the population to be prepared to accept the sacrifices that it will have to make. I have expressed these views clearly to those that I have met and they have been well-received.


French is an important and protected language in Canada and especially in the province of Québec. Do you think that Greece has to take measures in protecting its language and its national heritage inside the European Union?

I am by no means an expert in European law, however, as Québec’s French-speaking society has to deal with the pressure coming from our powerful and influential southern neighbour – the USA – Greece will have to be equipped with certain protective legislation in order to insure that cultural pressure from its more powerful economic partners does not prejudice our language, culture and heritage which is not only unique in Europe, but which has always served as a guiding light for democracies all over the world and for western civilization in particular.


Recently you were selected as one of Greek-America’s top 40 under 40. How do you feel about this achievement?

It with great pride that I accepted this distinction from the Greek-America Foundation and travelled to Chicago with my fiancé in order to receive this award and meet the other laureates. I have to be honest that the work I do, I do for the 80 000 citizens I represent, the Greek community of Québec and the general population of Québec and not in anticipation of any distinction or award. However, it is always encouraging for a young politician to be recognized by his community and I must say it was a great source of pride for my fiancé and my entire family and especially for my parents who sacrificed so much for me to arrive where I have so far.


Which leaders inspired you to become a politician?
I grew up hearing about Pierre-Elliot Trudeau and René Levesque and eventually was old enough to understand the Mulroney and Chrétien administrations in Canada and to recognize the contributions of all these great men, who are not all from the same political parties. I also have great esteem for Michael Dukakis who did so very well and yet has maintained his Greek identity in a country where not too many Greeks have managed to do so. I had the opportunity to meet him in Boston. He offered advise and ensured me of his availability in the future, should I need any kind of support. I don’t have one particular idol and I am not a very partisan politician. I recognize that many great men and women have made important contributions at different times and in different contexts and I have admiration for all those who pursue public office and especially those who attain the height of power for all the very personal sacrifices, especially familial sacrifices that they make in leading and representing their citizens.


The Greek community has supported you in politics. How do you see the future of Greek Communities in Canada?
I think the Greek community in Canada is strong because of its birth rate and because of its attachment to our cultural identity. Our Greek schools in Montreal have gone a long way towards ensuring that our youth remains attached to our heritage and language and every summer Greek-Canadians travel to Greece to be with their families and friends and return with great memories which make us wonder whether they aren’t more nostalgic than their own parents. It is also important to say that Greek culture, especially Greek music is very popular in the Greek community and serves as an excellent tool to transfer culture, language and the Greek way of living and expressing emotions.


The Quebec government is very active in the advancement of our Greek schools. Are you, as the only Québec Parliamentarian of Greek origin, involved in process?
As I mentioned, the Greek schools in Québec are the pride and joy of the Greek community. Of course, like any other educational institutions anywhere in the world, they have met certain financial challenges. My team and I work in collaboration on a regular basis with the Department of Education and the authorities of our Greek schools to ensure that the schools continue to have the funds necessary to function properly and the necessary professionals to dispense the educational program.


 (Pictures: Mr. Gerry Sklavounos with Michael Dukakis, with his girlfriend Jannke, and a a gala reception with Panayoti Karousos, his mother Athina and his girlfriend Jannke)


Δεν υπάρχουν σχόλια:

Δημοσίευση σχολίου